Friday, March 5, 2010

Climbing Pacaya



On Thursday afternoon we rode horses as far as we could up the side of the active volcano. Then we hiked on foot on crusty old lava as far as we were allowed. Walking was VERY difficult, footing was unsure, and cooled lava is sharp as broken glass. So there we were near the top of this volcano with rocks, fire, and ash exploding into the air (note the smoke ring), and a river of hot lava flowing just a few feet from us. The heat was intense. ¡Mucho calor! Some people were roasting marshmallows over the hot lava, while Buzz tried to roast a chicken. I took a moment and sent out a thought to my grandson. Then as dusk started to fall, we began a long hike down. We used leg muscles that hadn't been called into action for some time. I'm happy to say that we climbed a volcano, but once is enough.    

3 comments:

  1. Wow - the photo of Dad roasting a chicken in the volcano is even better than the mental image I had in my head after you told me you did that. What I want to know is, where did you get the chicken? Did you bring it with you on your hike up there? Or is there some guy with a chicken stand up there?

    Very sweet that you sent a thought the bambino's way! I wonder how fast thoughts travel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an experience! I bet you will be a bit stiff today. I also was wondering about the chicken :-) How many babies get a greeting from an active volcano? I think I feel a name coming on here...Pacaya, Lava, Volcan.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing picture! And Buzz looks super tan! Did you boil that chicken? He looked kind of funny. Some roast marks from the volano will make him look more delicious!

    ReplyDelete